Wednesday, April 14, 2010

101 ~ In a Tenerife Garden

pool 1
Recently I have been taking some photos of a private garden here on the island of Tenerife. I've always been impressed by the way the owner, who has style and a great love of plants, can combine eclectic items to create so much beauty. The islands are in a subtropical climate zone and so there are many tropical plants which will grow easily from a cutting or root. She takes advantage of every chance to root a plant that she doesn't already have in her garden. We are blessed with a mild climate here, and so the phrase ...'Islands of Eternal Spring' is very fitting.

water filter Old Canary Stone Water Distiller

The stone water distiller has been a traditional item in Canary Island homes, being used for filtering and cooling drinking water. It consists of three parts: the top stone basin into which water is poured. A central shelf where the water is collected after it has filtered by dripping down through the stone and a lower basin which collects any overflow from the level above. The system is enclosed in a wooden hutch made from the heartwood of Canary pine. These water filters are now prized as antiques but many are still in use in Canary homes.


statue

pool 2 Koi Pond


helecho Canary Fern - Helecho de Metro (Goniophlebium Subauriculatum)

The long trailing fronds of this beautiful Canary fern are seen here displayed on top of a closed water distiller. These prized plants are often passed on from one generation to another. The folk name is 'ferns of a meter',
'helechos de metro' referring to their length, when in fact they grow much longer than one meter. I had quite a job tracking down their biological name as even plant nurseries I visited didn't know. Finally I had success in the offices of the Botanical Garden, where the question was put to their computer database. At last I found it to be Goniophlebium Subauriculatum. So if you are ever searching for such a beautiful fern, do take note of the name now because few people know it.

Here's a SLIDESHOW of photos I've taken there. I hope you will enjoy looking!

Thanks for dropping by, and hasta la vista!

6 comments:

Marysol said...

Breathtaking!
Sharon, I could easily lose myself in that Edenic garden.

Kyna said...

Wow, that is very beautiful!

Gattina said...

I wished I had a garden like that ! just beautiful !

Flowers said...

What a beautiful garden! I would have loved to walk there, and see all the gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I really like the way the statuary is placed like little surprises all around. (Love the turtle, espeically.)

Samantha@ Living In The Sun said...

What a lovely garden gardens like this one always seem to help me unwind it'slike stepping into a third dymention!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin